Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Carolina Pulled-Pork Sandwiches Recipe!

Hello friends!  I'm determined to be more regular with my blog again so I thought I'd share this tasty recipe with you I tried for the first time tonight!  I got it from the May issue of Family Circle that I saw sitting at work recently, and though it's more of a summer recipe, the fact that it cooks in a slow cooker made it the perfect choice for tonight!  It takes a bit of time but not too much, is easy, and my husband and I both loved it!


INGREDIENTS:
Pork:
1 boneless pork shoulder roast or picnic roast, skin removed, trimmed (about 3 1/2 pounds)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons canola oil

Sauce:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
8 seedless sandwich buns (we used potato buns-delicious!)

1. Pork. Rub pork all over with seasoned salt and paprika.  Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Brown pork on all sides, 12 minutes.

2.  Sauce.  Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and cook 5 minutes.  Stir in vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and mustard.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.  

3.  Transfer pork to slow cooker; add sauce.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.

4.  Meanwhile, prepare Coleslaw.

Coleslaw: In a medium bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup light mayo, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon each of celery salt and black pepper.  Stir in 1 bag (1 pound) deli shredded coleslaw mix.  Refrigerate until serving.


5.  Remove pork from slow cooker and allow to cool slightly.  With 2 forks or your hands, shred meat, discarding fat and bones.  Stir pork into sauce in cooker.  Divide evenly among sandwich buns, topping with coleslaw, if desired. 

Makes 8 servings  Prep 15 minutes  Cook 22 minutes  Slow cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.

A couple notes I have is I used potato buns.  I also didn't have spicy mustard so I used regular and it was still delicious.  Also didn't have celery salt and so just added a touch of regular salt to the coleslaw.  It still turned out great!  Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, looks tasty. Try to get it on the food blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now yall will just have to come down to north carolina for some genuine pulled pork bbq!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good Ria! Nialler says we have to try it. We both love the photos you took of it :D
    Maw

    ReplyDelete