1 boneless pork shoulder roast or picnic roast, skin removed, trimmed (about 3 1/2 pounds)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
8 seedless sandwich buns (we used potato buns-delicious!)
1. Pork. Rub pork all over with seasoned salt and paprika. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pork on all sides, 12 minutes.
2. Sauce. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Transfer pork to slow cooker; add sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
4. Meanwhile, prepare Coleslaw.
Coleslaw: In a medium bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup light mayo, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon each of celery salt and black pepper. Stir in 1 bag (1 pound) deli shredded coleslaw mix. Refrigerate until serving.
5. Remove pork from slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. With 2 forks or your hands, shred meat, discarding fat and bones. Stir pork into sauce in cooker. Divide evenly among sandwich buns, topping with coleslaw, if desired.
Makes 8 servings Prep 15 minutes Cook 22 minutes Slow cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
A couple notes I have is I used potato buns. I also didn't have spicy mustard so I used regular and it was still delicious. Also didn't have celery salt and so just added a touch of regular salt to the coleslaw. It still turned out great! Hope you enjoy!